Mexican Rice Bowl
This is one of my FAVORITE recipes! Have I said that before? I’m sure I have but I REALLY mean it lol! The perfect combination of cilantro, lime juice, black beans and corn and you’re in heaven. This recipe is perfect as a meal topped with a fresh salsa and you are instantly transported to HEAVEN. Take a peek!
- 1½ C long-grain white rice, uncooked*
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 package smoked mexican turkey or chicken sausage, cut diagonally
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 14 oz chicken broth or stock
- 1¼ C water
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 C. whole kernel corn, frozen or fresh
- 2 Tbsp fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Crack pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine long-grain rice, onion,sausage, and extra virgin olive oil ensuring the rice is completely coated.
- Place the chicken broth and water in a medium-sized pot and bring to a boil.
- Place the rice mixture into a casserole dish or Dutch oven.
- Pour the broth mixture into the casserole or Dutch oven and place a cover over the container.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, stir in the black beans, corn, and cilantro.
- Cover and bake an additional 15-20 minutes or until all of the liquid is absorbed.
- Remove the casserole from the oven.
- Top the completed dish with fresh salsa to garnish.
*long-grain rice works BEST for this dish to avoid excessive gumminess.
- Roasted Poblano Cilantro Quesadilla (cali-zona.com)
- Black Bean Salad with Yellow Corn and Red Pepper (spoonful.com)
- Poblano Chilies Stuffed with Black Beans and Summer Squash (williams-sonoma.com)
- Tilapia Tacos topped with Chipotle-Avocado Slaw and Black Bean Salsa, served with lime-cilantro rice (dorothytableforone.wordpress.com)