Roasted Chicken with Pan Gravy
How many ways are there to make CHICKEN? Probably a million, but nothing beats a perfectly roasted chicken especially on a Sunday afternoon. I’ve been told I’m addicted to cooking roasted meats on a Sunday and I think my family is right. There’s just something about slow cooking a meal while watching my favorite sports team. Whether a roast, stew, or chicken I’m never disappointed.
This recipe is sure to never disappoint and if you follow the Chef Secrets-Chicken listed your chicken will be perfect every time!
- • 1 fresh whole chicken
- • 1/2 onion, chopped
- • 1 whole head of garlic, halved
- • 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- • 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- • 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- • 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Pan drippings
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1/4 c white wine
- 1/2 c chicken stock
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter, cold
- Bring the chicken to room temperature by removing it from the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes prior to cooking.
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Season the inside of the chicken with salt and pepper and fill the cavity with the onion, garlic, lemon and fresh herbs.
- Tie the legs and tuck the wings on the bird and completely dry the outside of the bird.
- Rub the olive oil on the skin of the bird and season with salt and pepper.
- Place the bird on its breast and roast on a cooking rack for 15 minutes on high heat.
- Reduce the heat to 350 degrees and rotate the chicken on the right side, basting and cooking for 15-20 minutes.
- Rotate the chicken to the left side, baste and continue cooking.
- Rotate the chicken to its back, baste, and cook until the total cooking time reaches 1 hour.
- Roast until the internal temperature reaches 165 between the thigh and breast.
- Remove the chicken from the oven to rest for at least 15 minutes before carving.
Pan Gravy Instructions:
- Place the roasting pan on a burner on high heat.
- Stir in the white wine scrapping all the drippings from the tray.
- Add the chicken stock and simmer for 5-7 minutes to reduce the sauce.
- Add the rosemary to the sauce and season with salt and pepper.
- Reduce the heat and stir in the cold butter to thicken the sauce and serve.