There’s nothing better than pancakes on a Sunday morning and somehow they taste even better when they’re HEALTHY! I stumbled on this recipe several years ago from a creative blogger turned author Brokeass Gourmet. They are healthy but they are absolutely fluffy, tangy, with a touch of sweetness.
- 1 C. cottage cheese
- 2 eggs or 4 egg whites
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 cup raw rolled quick cook oats (do not use steel cut)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- pinch of salt
- vegetable oil or cooking spray
Combine cottage cheese, eggs, vanilla, and honey together in a blender or food processor and puree until creamy. Add the oats, cinnamon, baking powder and salt and puree until mixture is smooth and resembles slightly grainy pancake batter.
Heat a very light coating of oil or spray in a nonstick frying pan or griddle over medium-high heat and cook 1/4 cup of the batter until golden brown on one side (about 1 1/2 – 2 minutes). Flip, using a spatula and cook until the other side is golden brown. Repeat until all pancakes are cooked.
Serve, warm, with fruit, honey, a touch of butter, preserves and/or syrup.
Makes about 5 pancakes (serves 2-3).
Adapted from Brokeass Gourmet
Who doesn’t love a great piece of chicken, crispy bacon coupled with creamy sharp cheddar cheese. As you know I love taking ingredients we use everyday in the kitchen and create something fresh, new, and absolutely delicious! Juicy chicken thighs and a tangy honey mustard marinade will make this recipe a keeper for your family! Let’s get started!
- 4 chicken thighs, boneless and skinless
- 8 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 ½ C. mushrooms, sliced
- 2 Tbsp salted butter
- 2 C. cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 tsp. paprika
- Salt, to taste
- Fresh cracked pepper, to taste
- 2 tsp. fresh parsley, chopped
- Combine the marinade ingredients in a bowl and whip until blended, about 30 seconds.
- Place the chicken thighs in a zip lock bag and pour 2/3 of the marinade over the meat, seal and place in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Place the remaining marinade in a container and place in the refrigerator.
- Remove from the chicken from the marinade solution and preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Place an oven proof skillet on the stove top and heat 1 Tbsp of canola oil over medium high heat.
- Sear the chicken in the pan until golden brown on each side, 4 minutes each depending on heat.
- Remove the PAN from the heat and brush the chicken thighs with the RESERVED honey mustard marinade.
- Season the chicken with salt, pepper, and paprika.
- In a separate pan, heat 2 Tbsp of butter and sauté the sliced mushrooms.
- Top each chicken thigh with equal portions crumbled bacon.
- Top each chicken thigh with equal portions of saute mushrooms.
- Divide the sharp cheddar cheese and place on top of each chicken thigh.
- Place the pan in the oven and bake for 8-10 minutes until the chicken is cooked through and the cheese is melted.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with the parsley garnish and serve.
Roasted beet, arugula,goat cheese, and honey crostini
Oh my look what Gimme Some Oven created on their blog! Yum! The perfect app for my Christmas dinner!