How many ways are there to make CHICKEN? Probably a million, but nothing beats a perfectly roasted chicken especially on a Sunday afternoon. I’ve been told I’m addicted to cooking roasted meats on a Sunday and I think my family is right. There’s just something about slow cooking a meal while watching my favorite sports team. Whether a roast, stew, or chicken I’m never disappointed.
This recipe is sure to never disappoint and if you follow the Chef Secrets-Chicken listed your chicken will be perfect every time!
- • 1 fresh whole chicken
- • 1/2 onion, chopped
- • 1 whole head of garlic, halved
- • 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- • 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- • 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- • 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Pan drippings
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1/4 c white wine
- 1/2 c chicken stock
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter, cold
- Bring the chicken to room temperature by removing it from the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes prior to cooking.
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Season the inside of the chicken with salt and pepper and fill the cavity with the onion, garlic, lemon and fresh herbs.
- Tie the legs and tuck the wings on the bird and completely dry the outside of the bird.
- Rub the olive oil on the skin of the bird and season with salt and pepper.
- Place the bird on its breast and roast on a cooking rack for 15 minutes on high heat.
- Reduce the heat to 350 degrees and rotate the chicken on the right side, basting and cooking for 15-20 minutes.
- Rotate the chicken to the left side, baste and continue cooking.
- Rotate the chicken to its back, baste, and cook until the total cooking time reaches 1 hour.
- Roast until the internal temperature reaches 165 between the thigh and breast.
- Remove the chicken from the oven to rest for at least 15 minutes before carving.
Pan Gravy Instructions:
- Place the roasting pan on a burner on high heat.
- Stir in the white wine scrapping all the drippings from the tray.
- Add the chicken stock and simmer for 5-7 minutes to reduce the sauce.
- Add the rosemary to the sauce and season with salt and pepper.
- Reduce the heat and stir in the cold butter to thicken the sauce and serve.
Fridays are made for pizza and what’s better than pizza made at home! If you haven’t noticed many of my recipes are very versatile meaning you can add or change any of the ingredients. If you’re watching your diet, yep this pizza is for you especially since studies show the Mediterranean diet is one of the healthiest diets you can eat! Get creative and let each family member “create” their own pizza!
- 1 package flat bread
- 2 C. fresh baby spinach leaves
- 8 oz cooked chicken breast, chopped
- ½ C. cherry tomatoes, quartered
- ¼ C. feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 Tbsp walnuts or pine nuts, chopped
- ½ tsp dried oregano, crushed OR 1 ½ tsp fresh oregano, chopped
- ½ tsp dried rosemary, crushed, OR 1 ½ tsp fresh rosemary, chopped
- ¹⁄³ C. Red Wine Vinaigrette*recipe follows
Red Wine Vinaigrette:
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Place the flat bread on a large baking sheet.
- Add the spinach, chicken, tomatoes, feta cheese, nuts, and spices.
- Drizzle the pizza with the Red Wine Vinaigrette.
- Bake the pizza 10-15 minutes until the pizza is warm and serve.
I am a lover of BEEF! There I said it, I love many types of beef especially rib roast and I think this love has been passed on to my son. As a teenager, we had an unspoken game where he’d try to eat EVERYTHING in sight, and I’d try to create meals where he wasn’t IMMEDIATELY hungry after he ate. I lost MANY MANY times 🙂
Anytime I can find a recipe that screams GOURMET flavor, but utilizes minimal effort it automatically gets a look from me. That’s where this elegant and easy roast comes in. You can’t get much easier, but people will swear you’ve been cooking all day!
5 lb standing rib roast, allowed to stand at room temperature for at least 1 hour
1 Tbsp canola oil
2 Tbsp kosher salt
3 Tbsp fresh chopped rosemary
5 fresh minced large garlic cloves
Fresh ground pepper to taste
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and rub the roast with the canola oil and minced garlic. Sprinkle with salt, rosemary, and fresh ground pepper. Place the roast on the rack in the roasting pan with the rib side down and the fatty side up. Roast the meat for 1 hour then turn the oven OFF! Leave the roast in the oven but DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN DOOR for 3 hours. 30-40 minutes before serving, turn the oven to 375 degrees and reheat the roast.
*DO NOT remove the roast or re-open the oven door from the time the roast in placed in the oven until it is ready to serve! #BonAppetite